- Pediatric Dentist and Dental Director at Convivial Dental
- Professor and Chairman
- Department of Pediatric Dentistry
- Boston University School of Dental Medicine
As a pediatric dentist my goal is to help children and adolescents achieve their full potential. Driven by a holistic view of wellness and based on sound scientific principles of growth and development, I focus on creating smiles that are appealing and functional.
My primary focus is prevention. Using the latest state-of-the-science approach, I teach children and teens how to have a healthy mouth and healthy teeth. But if dental disease is present, my team and I will create a personalized treatment plan to address all the issues in the most effective manner and in the most comfortable atmosphere possible.
One of my strong beliefs is that advanced technology has the potential to improve dental care. As such, we at Convivial Dental invest heavily on technology to improve the quality of care and patient experience. Some of the high technologies we use include CBCT three-dimensional x-rays, intra-oral scanners, lasers, and more.
One of the most promising technologies in Dentistry is the dental laser. Use of the laser demands that the operator has special training and experience. I am certified by the American Dental Laser Institute in the use of dental lasers and have extensive experience in performing laser-assisted dental surgeries. I often lecture regularly about the use of lasers in Dentistry and enjoy teaching young dentists how to use them efficiently and safely. I also serve as the Laser Safety Officer of the Boston University Dental School and I am member of the University-wide Sub-Committee on Dental Laser Safety.
- Doctorate of Medical Sciences in Oral Biology (DrMedSc) – Harvard University Medical School
- Specialty of Dental Public Health – Harvard School of Dental Medicine
- Master of Science in Epidemiology (MS) – Harvard School of Public Health
- Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry – Tufts School of Dental Medicine
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery (DDS) – Columbia University in New York City
- Doctorate of Dental Medicine (DMD) – University of Athens
In addition to being a specialist in pediatric dentistry, I am also a specialist and certified Diplomate of the American Board of Dental Public Health. Dental public health is one of the nine recognized dental specialties in the USA, and it is considered the specialty of disease prevention and health promotion.
To offer my patients the benefits of the best possible care, I maintain an active affiliation with several professional associations:
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
- American Dental Association
- American Association of Dental Public Health
- American Association of Dental Research
- International Association for the Prevention of Tobacco Induced Diseases
I am also active in dental education. I am a member of the American Dental Education Association and serve as Consultant for the Commission on Dental Accreditation (2013-14).
- Practice of Pediatric Dentistry, 1995-present (Boston and Manhattan, NYC)
- Professor of Dentistry at Columbia College of Dental Medicine (2009-present)
- Staff member, Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center, New York City (2009-present)
- Professor, Harvard University (full time faculty 1999-09, adjunct title 2009-present)
- Resident Fellow, Harvard University (1994-99)
- For details on Dr. Zavras’ scientific publications please visit PubMed at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=zavras+ai
- Dr. Zavras articles have been quoted by other scientists over 1,500 times. To see the impact of Dr. Zavras’ work please visit GoogleScholar page: http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=hQVumvYAAAAJ
I have called Boston home since 1991. I am married to Dr. Cartsos, our orthodontist, and we have two young sons that enjoy doing math problems, playing basketball and baseball, and swimming. We also have a six-year-old Dachshund dog, Daphne.
My favorite activities are reading, bicycling, sailing, and traveling.